בס׳ד

"Where does it say that you have a contract with G-d to have an easy life?"

the Lubavitcher Rebbe



"Failure is not the enemy of success; it is its prerequisite."

Rabbi Nosson Scherman



12 Aug 2010

Spelling errors

A number of years ago a cousin presented me with Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation, a book written by Lynne Truss. I enjoyed reading it immensely.
I must admit I have a zero tolerance for spelling errors. So, I gasped in horror as I saw a photo of a huge spelling error on Yahoo.

Well, here's something to make your old English teacher gasp in horror: A road contractor hired to paint the word "school" on a freshly paved stretch of road near Southern Guilford High School in North Carolina rendered the traffic area in question a "shcool" zone.

The following comment posted caught my attention.

In case you have not read or seen this mind-blowing paragraph, have a look....
Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?


After reading the above paragraph quite easily, I have resolved to be less picky about mistakes in spelling.

No comments:

Post a Comment