בס׳ד

"Where does it say that you have a contract with G-d to have an easy life?"

the Lubavitcher Rebbe



"Failure is not the enemy of success; it is its prerequisite."

Rabbi Nosson Scherman



21 Mar 2009

A Tribute to my Friend



The Jewish Press publishes a weekly column by Rebbetzin Esther Jungreis. Lately, she has been writing about the "three-fold formula through which we can protect ourselves in the most trying period of Chevlei Moshiach". Her formula is 1. Laasok B'Torah, 2. Laasok B'Gemilas Chassadim and 3. to be scrupulous regarding the third Shabbos meal.
This past week, Rebetzin Jungreis spoke in my area and my friend and I went to hear her. My friend was visibly moved by her words. A number of hours before Shabbos, I met my friend on the street. She invited me to come to her house for Shalosh Seudos, the third Shabbos meal. She told me to be prepared with a dvar torah and that we would sing the psalm of Mizmor LeDavid, just as Rebbetzin Esther Jungreis had described her Shalosh Seudos.
I just spent a lovely spiritual Shalosh Seudos with her. I read her an article from the Mishpacha Junior Magazine which talked about how Bnei Yisrael donated items to the Mishkan and did not regret their decision, afterwards. The author of the article says it is a fundamental lesson for us to learn that when we make a decision, we should act upon it immediately, when we are imbued with enthusiasm and before the fervor wears off. I told my friend how impressed I was with her for her decision to act immediately after hearing the lecturer's words. I reminded her that when I told her about an article in the Hamodia about a woman who participated in a shemirat halashon group which would daven for her son to find a shidduch, she immediately responded with, "count me in." Within a week, she had organized a group of 18 women in our area who were davening for a list of singles to find their intended ones.
I told her the story of my grandfather from many years ago. I once went to his house and complained to him about the state of disrepair of the women's siddurim in the shul. I had been davening Shemoneh Esrei, only to find two pages missing from the prayer book. Within seconds of my recounting the incident, my grandfather took out his checkbook and wrote a check to cover the purchase of new siddurim for the women's section.
To my friend, I say, "Kol Hakavod. May you live a long life and continue to serve as an inspiration to me, just as my grandfather did, many years go. And may we be zocheh to dance at each other's simchos."

No comments:

Post a Comment