בס׳ד

"Where does it say that you have a contract with G-d to have an easy life?"

the Lubavitcher Rebbe



"Failure is not the enemy of success; it is its prerequisite."

Rabbi Nosson Scherman



5 Dec 2009

Be a mensch

An article on CNN caught my attention regarding author A.J. Jacobs who is challenging people "to live as the most polite people on Earth for one day. Brush up on your Emily Post and Miss Manners, and bring a bit of dignity and etiquette to everything you do."
Click on the link below to read more about his challenge and to view a video with suggestions.
http://www.ireport.com/ir-topic-stories.jspa?topicId=362796

Soon after, I read in the Hamodia about Moshe Kaplan launching a "Be a mensch" foundation.
"Whoever internalizes the asset of being a mensch will be happier, wealthier and healthier," Kaplan guarantees.

Yesterday, I met a young woman who moved not far from me a couple of months ago. After seeing her on the street a number of times, I decided to introduce myself.
"Hello, I'm ....", I said, fully expecting her to introduce herself as well.
To my consternation, there was no reciprocity.
I remember I was in a shul a number of years ago where the Rabbi spoke about teaching your children manners. He said that he frequently called up, got a teenager on the line, and when he asked if his mother or father was at home, the youth would answer, "no," and hang up the phone.
He admonished the congregation that they must educate their children in basic phone manners.
My friend trains her children from a young age to answer the phone, "Family G., to whom am I speaking?"
In an article about overcrowding on the London metro, a woman posted the following comment.
"I'm 7 months pregnant and rarely get offered a seat.....
I know every one pays for their seats, and I know lots of people are tired after a long days work but try and find it in your heart to stand up. At the end of the day it's just basic manners anyway."
So let's try to live up to basic standards of menschlichkeit. Be polite (not only for a day) and let's teach our kids basic standards of decency. Let's start by getting them to answer the phone with, "Family X...., to whom am I speaking?"

No comments:

Post a Comment