בס׳ד

"Where does it say that you have a contract with G-d to have an easy life?"

the Lubavitcher Rebbe



"Failure is not the enemy of success; it is its prerequisite."

Rabbi Nosson Scherman



27 May 2010

Husbands and wives

A henpecked husband was severely depressed and was advised by a friend to take an assertive training course. After following the class, he returned home and told his wife, "From now on when I come home, I expect you to lay out my slippers. Then, I expect you to have a four course meal prepared for me. And when I am finished with my meal, do you know who is going to draw the water and wash me?"
"I certainly do," said his wife calmly, "the Chevra Kadisha."

I read an interesting post by Rabbi Lazer Brody titled Two sides, one coin.
He begins with the following words.
"A coin has two distinct sides, yet it’s one coin. Each side might look completely different, yet it’s still one coin. In essence, a husband and wife are two sides of the same coin."
One point that the Rabbi makes is that "We therefore see that a wife’s deficiencies are an exact reflection of our shortcomings. If we want our wives to be better in a given area, we first have to better ourselves. Comments and criticism won’t make a better wife – they’ll only destroy a marriage."
In an age when I hear about one divorce after another, let's resolve to work harder on achieving marital harmony.

No comments:

Post a Comment