בס׳ד

"Where does it say that you have a contract with G-d to have an easy life?"

the Lubavitcher Rebbe



"Failure is not the enemy of success; it is its prerequisite."

Rabbi Nosson Scherman



13 Dec 2010

The reward of a good deed

The other day I was standing in line at the local grocery at checkout counter 1. The problem with checkout counter 1 is that the cashier alternates between providing service to the customers on line and customers who walk into the store and stand on a second line behind the counter, needing special services.
An older lady approached me and asked me if she could jump ahead of me on line as she only had a few items. Graciously, I let her pass in front of me. However, after ringing up the woman's purchases, the cashier turned her back to me and went to deal with the customers on the special services line.
"Serves me right," I thought to myself. "No good deed goes unpunished. Had I not allowed the woman to get ahead of me, the cashier would have totaled up my purchases and I wouldn't have had to wait all those extra minutes as she serviced a few customers on the second line."
Reading the article, below, however, restored my faith in the fact that it pays to do a good deed. Actually, I knew it before I read the article. Doing a mitzvah is a reward in itself.

A man in the Phillippines has won the country's largest ever lottery jackpot after letting a woman push in front of him the queue to get her ticket first.
Read full article: http://news.uk.msn.com/world/articles.aspx?cp-documentid=155519509

No comments:

Post a Comment