בס׳ד

"Where does it say that you have a contract with G-d to have an easy life?"

the Lubavitcher Rebbe



"Failure is not the enemy of success; it is its prerequisite."

Rabbi Nosson Scherman



4 Jan 2010

Minor annoyances

"It's high time to grasp the essential fact that there exists a jihadist ideology driven by zealous belief, not downtrodden misery, which has us in its crosshairs -- in the air, on land, and on the high seas."
David Harris, executive director AJC
Read more: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-harris/responding-to-the-critics_b_409903.html

In a piece entitled In Lockdown at Newark Airport, Rabbi Shmuley Boteach describes his hours long wait to pick up his family arriving at Newark airport during a major security lockdown.
He writes, "On the way to Chicago last week my eleven-year-old daughter's backpack somehow merited secondary screening. For ten minutes a TSA agent performed about seven explosive swab tests on every knickknack a young girl might carry on a plane. Her reading books seemed to be of particular interest. I could only roll my eyes and pray for patience. While this went on approximately fifty adults passed through without any secondary screening because my eleven year old occupied the rapt attention of the TSA. Could this have gotten any more ridiculous?"
Read full article: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rabbi-shmuley-boteach/in-lockdown-at-newark-air_b_410016.html

Can the security agents do a better job of screening would be terrorists who usually don't come in the guise of an eleven-year-old girl?
And what about the new security rules in which people travelling from "countries of interest" will be searched? Richard Reid, the shoe bomber, was British born and I don't see Britain on the "countries of interest" list.
I do want to feel safe when I travel, but a bit of common sense is in order. I don't think that taking away the blanket of a sleeping toddler does much to ensure airplane safety. Rather, it creates minor (and major annoyances) for thousands of passengers.
Speaking of minor annoyances, The first time I used Google this morning, I was captivated by the logo amidst a branch of an apple tree. Suddenly, one apple fell from the tree, and I thought that it was a cute animation. However, after the third time that I googled something today, that falling apple was fast becoming a minor annoyance. Once is cute; twice (or more) - it's a nuisance.
I thank G-d that the falling apple was the worst annoyance to cross my path today. After reading about various tragedies that have struck the Jewish community over the past few days, I am grateful for the good that Hashem sends along my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment