בס׳ד

"Where does it say that you have a contract with G-d to have an easy life?"

the Lubavitcher Rebbe



"Failure is not the enemy of success; it is its prerequisite."

Rabbi Nosson Scherman



16 Sept 2009

Make that change

This afternoon, I came across an article by Rabbi David Orlofsky entitled The Secret of Tashlich. He offers some good advice as to how a person can bring about a positive change in his life with Rosh Hashana fast approaching.

When a person goes into the High Holidays, it's really easy to feel a strong sense of despair. The odds are that you are not going to change into the perfect person over the next ten days. Some will even express it in Miltonian terms - "I'm going to burn anyway, I might as well have a good time before I go." As long as people see themselves as bad, there is no hope that they will ever change. But if instead we view our sins as something external, something that's not us, but rather a terrible burden that we are carrying through our lives, then we can think of ways to rid ourselves of them. To undo the wrong that we've done, to break unhealthy habits and to focus on how to become the people we really are....
....I'm often asked by people going into the High Holidays how they can possibly face Almighty G-d and tell Him they're really sorry and will never do it again. They know they're not ready yet to do everything perfectly. Frankly, I don't know too many people who are. So instead I suggest they try the following: At some point in the service, talk to G-d. Tell Him the truth. Say "G-d, You know me better than I know myself. I mean, after all, You created me. And You know that I fail more often than I succeed. But I can tell You this much, G-d. I'm a better person this year than I was last year. And if You give me the chance, I'll be a better person next year than I was this year."

To read full article click on the link below.
http://ohr.edu/yhiy/article.php/1192

No comments:

Post a Comment