בס׳ד

"Where does it say that you have a contract with G-d to have an easy life?"

the Lubavitcher Rebbe



"Failure is not the enemy of success; it is its prerequisite."

Rabbi Nosson Scherman



2 Feb 2011

Take for me

I came across a nice devar Torah on Parshat Teruma.

In the opening verses of Parshat Terumah the Jewish people are asked to donate willfully to the Mishkan.
Q. If the Jewish people are asked to GIVE a donation, why does the verse (25,2) say 'TAKE for me a donation' rather than 'GIVE me a donation'?
...A2. The Chafetz Chaim says that a person's net worth is defined by what one gives away, rather than what one retains. Consequently when one gives, one is taking for himself, since he gains through taking. This does not just apply to giving charity, but also extends to giving time for a friend, good deeds etc. Whereas money and merchandise can disappear (lost/stolen/credit crunch), Torah and mitzvot remain with you for Olam Habah, the world to come.
In a similar vein the Midrash Tanchuma in Terumah explains the verse 'Ki lekach tov natati lachem' 'I have given you a good portion', as Torah is the greatest portion that can be given because it is always retained.

Read two other answers to the question. http://www.shortvort.com/component/content/article/114-rotator/11664-giving-and-taking

May we value the words of the Torah and recognize it as "the greatest portion."

The haftorah ends with G‑d's word to King Solomon: "This house which you are building, if you walk in My statutes, and execute My ordinances, and keep all My commandments to walk in them; then will I establish My word with you, which I spoke to David your father. And I will dwell among the children of Israel, and will not forsake My people, Israel."
http://www.chabad.org/parshah/article_cdo/aid/632637/jewish/Haftorah-in-a-Nutshell.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment