בס׳ד

"Where does it say that you have a contract with G-d to have an easy life?"

the Lubavitcher Rebbe



"Failure is not the enemy of success; it is its prerequisite."

Rabbi Nosson Scherman



23 Apr 2010

Someday... I'll eat properly

This morning, I read a moving article in the New York Times titled, A Mother’s Loss, a Daughter’s Story. The article details a mother's efforts in making a documentary about her daughter who died from bulimia at the age of 19.
The impetus for the idea of the film was an entry in her daughter's journal that she came across after her daughter's death.

Someday ...

I’ll eat breakfast.

I’ll keep a job for more than 3 weeks.

I’ll have a boyfriend for more than 10 days.

I’ll love someone.

I’ll travel wherever I want.

I’ll make my family proud.

I’ll make a movie that changes lives.

Instead of the daughter, it will be the mother who makes a film, and she hopes to change people's lives by sounding the alarm on eating disorders.
Read more: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/22/fashion/22Melissa.html?src=me&ref=general

The subject of an email I received this morning by Rabbi Chanan Morrison is about eating before davening.

Rabbi Eliezer ben Yaakov cautioned that one should not eat before reciting the morning prayers:
"Regarding one who eats and drinks and [only then] prays, the verse states: "You have cast Me after your body" (I Kings 14:9)."
This homily seems clear enough. When eating before prayer, "You have cast Me after your body" - you place the physical before the spiritual. By your actions, you demonstrate that the body and its needs comes first.


In an article entitled Eating your way to self-esteem, Rebbetzin Leah Kohn concludes that "Our challenge as Jews is to maintain an awareness of the Divine spark in every aspect of our physical existence, including what we eat. The ensuing self-esteem is calorie-free and leads to the revelation that G-d alone creates and sustains life."
http://www.torah.org/learning/women/class19.html

No comments:

Post a Comment