בס׳ד

"Where does it say that you have a contract with G-d to have an easy life?"

the Lubavitcher Rebbe



"Failure is not the enemy of success; it is its prerequisite."

Rabbi Nosson Scherman



27 Mar 2017

No new messages

Sacred letter and awesome segulah

Goldstein on Gelt: Can You Really Live on Less?

Rasmea Odeh was offered similar plea deal three years ago – why is she taking it now?

Yesterday I was crossing the street when I heard a voice. Looking around, I noticed a short older woman talking about two people crossing at a red light.

"What they are doing is dangerous," she said, to no one in particular. I acknowledged her and she continued telling me that she had once been hit by a car while standing on the curb.

"People shouldn't cross at a red light," she continued.

I told her she was right and she continued talking. I let her vent her feelings and soon we came to a parting of ways as I had to turn left while she continued straight down the street.

As I left her, I felt good that I had provided her with human contact and mused as to her particular situation and whether she had anyone with whom to talk.

Last week I came across a site titled ageUK which offers befriending services to older people. I urge you to click on this link and watch some of the stories of older people who have been helped through the service. I was particularly moved by Barbara, who, after the deaths of her husband and daughter, used to check her message service, just so she could hear a human voice saying, "there are no new messages."

My friend's son recently moved to a building in which an old woman lives. He befriended her and now buys her challos for Shabbos, among other things.

These days, when we are on the bus and are preoccupied with our phones, we don't even notice the old people who can use a seat or a bit of conversation. When I was waiting online at the pharmacy, sometimes an older person was monopolizing the pharmacist, talking to him/her while I used to silently fume about how much time was being wasted and I sorely wanted the conversation to come to an end. These days, I just wait patiently, knowing the older person might have no one to go home to talk to.

I recently spoke to an older man who said his children don't have much time for him. One time his son called him and invited him to his house. The man was surprised at the invitation and tried to figure out what could have possibly motivated his welcoming gesture.

When he got to the  house, he was told the reason that he was invited was because he wanted to let him know that he was moving to another country.

Do you know someone who is lonely? Someone who would appreciate a visit or your call? When was the last time you called your grandmother or visited? How about picking up the phone right now?

No comments:

Post a Comment