בס׳ד

"Where does it say that you have a contract with G-d to have an easy life?"

the Lubavitcher Rebbe



"Failure is not the enemy of success; it is its prerequisite."

Rabbi Nosson Scherman



9 Apr 2012

Highjacking our religion

Jonathan S. Tobin writes an article I completely agree with titled Dems Turn Passover Into Obama Worship.

One of the most disturbing aspects of modern American Jewish life is the almost obsessive desire of many Jews to universalize every aspect of Jewish belief while downplaying the original meanings of customs and ritual.
... This year, there are more egregious examples of this trend. The National Jewish Democratic Council has published a new version of the “Four Questions” from the Haggadah that is a paean, not to the liberation of the Jews from Egypt, but to the wonders of Barack Obama, to whom the NJDC directs Americans to express thanks rather than their Creator.
Read full article: http://www.commentarymagazine.com/2012/04/06/dems-turn-passover-into-obama-worship/

Click on the link to the new version of the four questions and tell me if you don't agree with Mr. Tobin, as well.

The Lakewood Scoop reports Hispanic Men & Women Dressed As Jews To Collect Money Stopped By Police


The above article reminded me of an incident that Rebbetzin Jungreis wrote about in a column a number of weeks ago titled Purim Afterthoughts.

This year, a Hispanic-looking man wearing a yarmulke came through my door and announced he was collecting money for himself and his family. He explained that they were in dire need of support.

As I mentioned, I always have a tray of cake on the table and invite all those who come in to make a berachah. On my counter I also happened to have some food I was preparing. Without asking, this man went to the counter and helped himself to the food.

“I didn’t hear you make a berachah,” I said. “I always like to say ‘Amen.’”

He ignored me and just went on eating. I became suspicious and doubted he was a Jew.

“Do you know how to say ‘hello’ in Hebrew?” I asked.

“No,” he replied.

“Do you know what we do as we enter and depart from a house?”

This time he answered “yes,” placing his hand on his lips and making some kissing sounds in the direction of the door.

“What is this called?” I asked, pointing to the mezuzah.

“I don’t know,” he said.

“I don’t think you’re a Jew,” I said. You just want to collect money from Jews.”

Before sending the man on his way I told him, “I will give you a few dollars because it is Purim and we are a compassionate people. But please don’t try to take advantage of our goodness in this way again.”

1 comment:

  1. What I find disturbing is that today, Jews completely ignore the correct and original meaning of the Tanach for the traditions and rituals of men. See Isaiah 29:13. And you wonder why we are in such a mess. Pesach Sameach

    ReplyDelete