בס׳ד

"Where does it say that you have a contract with G-d to have an easy life?"

the Lubavitcher Rebbe



"Failure is not the enemy of success; it is its prerequisite."

Rabbi Nosson Scherman



3 Mar 2014

You've got a friend

Below is an excerpt from the Oscar acceptance speech given by the winner of the best actor award, Matthew McConaughey.

There are a few things, in fact, three things, ... that I need each day - one of them is something to look up to, another is something to look forward to and another is someone to chase. Now, first off, I want to thank G-d, because that's who I look up to.He has graced my life with opportunities that I know are not of my hand or any other human hand. He has shown me that it's a scientific fact that gratitude reciprocates. In the words of the late Charlie Laughton who said “When you’ve got G-d you’ve got a friend, and that friend is you…”


John Podhoretz writes about an interview with President Obama by Jeffrey Goldberg in an article titled The President’s Prophetic Threats to Israel.


The Palestinians, in Obama’s view, do not actually need to make changes; astonishingly, he says, they’re ready for peace. “The Palestinians,” the president says, overlooking every piece of polling data we have about the opinions of the Palestinians, “would still prefer peace.
...Ah. So that 2011 poll that says 60 percent of the Palestinians reject a two-state solution is bunk—a poll whose findings have not been contradicted since.
...All of this is folderol, anyway, because the president clearly thinks peace is solely Israel’s to make, and basically, Binyamin Netanyahu should listen to Obama’s mother and rip off the band-aid: “One of the things my mom always used to tell me and I didn’t always observe, but as I get older I agree with — is if there’s something you know you have to do, even if it’s difficult or unpleasant, you might as well just go ahead and do it, because waiting isn’t going to help. When I have a conversation with Bibi, that’s the essence of my conversation: If not now, when? And if not you, Mr. Prime Minister, then who?”
Now that’s some chutzpah right there, because of course the president is invoking the words of Hillel, the ancient Jewish sage, as a rhetorical tool against the Israeli prime minister. Of course, Obama leaves out the key words of Hillel’s famed plaint, which are: “If I am not for myself, then who will be for me?”
Read more: http://www.commentarymagazine.com/2014/03/02/the-presidents-prophetic-threats-to-israel/?utm_campaign=twitter&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment