בס׳ד

"Where does it say that you have a contract with G-d to have an easy life?"

the Lubavitcher Rebbe



"Failure is not the enemy of success; it is its prerequisite."

Rabbi Nosson Scherman



30 Aug 2012

An excellent upbringing

On Wednesday mornings a group of women from the neighborhood get together and recite Sefer Tehillim and pray for individuals who need a refuah sheleima.

This morning I rang the bell of the woman who hosts the Tehillim get together but no one opened the door. After ringing a second time, I gave up and continued on my way.  I bumped into a friend of mine who told me that she had been contacted by the woman. Apparently, the hostess had to be out of town and she left instructions for her daughter to be home Wednesday morning to open the door. Either the daughter forgot or something else came up - I am not sure what happened.

This evening I received a phone call from the daughter apologizing for not being there. I told my mother what great chinuch the daughter had received and how impressed my friend and I were to receive a phone call from the young girl. My mother replied that it was only natural to behave in such a fashion and she would not have expected anything less. "But I grew up in a different generation," she surmised.

An apology which would have been expected a generation ago was nowadays a sign of excellent upbringing and a rare occurrence. How sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment