בס׳ד

"Where does it say that you have a contract with G-d to have an easy life?"

the Lubavitcher Rebbe



"Failure is not the enemy of success; it is its prerequisite."

Rabbi Nosson Scherman



16 May 2011

HALT and SCAR

Last night I read a post by Rabbi Lazer Brody about the steps to be taken towards teshuvah. He introduced the acronym SCAR as an easy way to remember what must be done.
First, one must Stop with his wrong action. The he should Confess to Hashem. He should then Apologize. Finally, he should Resolve not to commit the wrongdoing again.
The acronym reminded me of another one I heard from a friend who was on the OA program for people addicted to food.
She told me that her counselor has said that next time she reaches for some nosh, she should remember HALT. She should ask herself if she is eating out of Hunger or is it because she is Angry with someone. Maybe she is eating out of Loneliness or Tiredness.
I made the mistake of relating the acronym to my son. Now, when he sees me reaching for something in the pantry he says, "HALT." in a loud voice. It does give me a moment's pause to reflect on whether I am eating out of hunger or a combination of other reasons.
Let's take a moment's pause to reflect on SCAR, as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment