בס׳ד

"Where does it say that you have a contract with G-d to have an easy life?"

the Lubavitcher Rebbe



"Failure is not the enemy of success; it is its prerequisite."

Rabbi Nosson Scherman



1 Nov 2010

The Lamplighter

Just came across a beautiful article by Harold Witkov titled Lamplighter for God and for the Constitution.
I recently attended a Jewish Chasidic funeral and a new concept came my way that I have begun to embrace. During the eulogy, the presiding rabbi referred to the deceased, a lifelong acquaintance of mine, as a "lamplighter."
Read full article: http://www.renewamerica.com/columns/witkov/101101

My tea is nearly ready and the sun has left the sky;
It’s time to take the window to see Leerie going by;
For every night at teatime and before you take your seat,
With lantern and with ladder he comes posting up the street.

Now Tom would be a driver and Maria go to sea,
And my papa’s a banker and as rich as he can be;
But I, when I am stronger and can choose what I’m to do,
O Leerie, I’ll go round at night and light the lamps with you!

For we are very lucky, with a lamp before the door,
And Leerie stops to light it as he lights so many more;
And O! before you hurry by with ladder and with light;
O Leerie, see a little child and nod to him to-night!

Robert Louis Stevenson

Click here to listen to a beautiful rendition of the poem set to music.

No comments:

Post a Comment