בס׳ד

"Where does it say that you have a contract with G-d to have an easy life?"

the Lubavitcher Rebbe



"Failure is not the enemy of success; it is its prerequisite."

Rabbi Nosson Scherman



25 Oct 2010

Never a bad word

Last week I wrote a post titled To see the good in which I described a rabbi's interpretation of the words lirot tov from Tehilim Perek 34 Pasuk 13, "Mi haish hechafetz chayim Ohev yamim lirot tov. (Who is the person who treasures life Who loves each day, to see the good.) He explained that we would not speak lashon hora if we don't criticize and we only see the good in other people. This past Shabbos, I was visiting a friend and I was about to say something about somebody, but stopped myself, after remembering the rabbi's words. At that point, I thought to myself that the rabbi will be rewarded not only for his good deeds, but also for his influence on preventing me from saying something derogatory about another individual.
Incidentally, while searching for the meaning of the above words, I found a Metzudat David which interpreted the verse. Who is the person who treasures life in this world by doing good deeds in this world so that he may merit to see the good in the next world.

This morning I came across a NYT obituary for Sol Steinmetz, a lexicographer. I was particularly moved by the closing paragraphs.

In newspaper obituaries, it was long customary to lavish praise on the subjects, noting laudable traits of character. In Mr. Steinmetz’s case, one such trait is worthy of mention even today.
“He never had a bad word to say about anyone,” said Jesse Sheidlower, the editor at large of the Oxford English Dictionary and a former protégé...
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/25/books/25steinmetz.html?_r=1&hpw

A person who was preoccupied with words throughout his years - how honorable that he used them for the good.

No comments:

Post a Comment