בס׳ד

"Where does it say that you have a contract with G-d to have an easy life?"

the Lubavitcher Rebbe



"Failure is not the enemy of success; it is its prerequisite."

Rabbi Nosson Scherman



23 Jul 2010

By the rivers of Babylon

Psalm 137:1 By the rivers of Babylon, there we sat down, yea, we wept, when we remembered Zion.

1970s disco group Boney M performed at Ramallah this week, but the local music festival prevented it from performing one of its biggest hits, because it features the Jewish people's yearning for the Land of Zion, the Associated Press reported.
Lead singer Maizie Williams said Palestinian Authority concert organizers told her not to sing "Rivers of Babylon." The organizers said they asked for the song to be skipped, because they found it "inappropriate."

More Israel news: http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/138738

So, for those who would like to deny the Jewish people's connection to the land of Israel and to the city of Jerusalem, the video below is a rendition of "By the rivers of Babylon," a song which takes its theme from Psalm 137. This chapter also contains the following verses.
137:5 If I forget thee, O Jerusalem, let my right hand forget her cunning.

137:6 Let my tongue cleave to the roof of my mouth, if I remember thee not; if I set not Jerusalem above my chiefest joy.



3 comments:

  1. Why did you use the Melodians's version? That one is original, but its popularity was mrestricted Jamaican. And has of course to be understood in a Jamican way, in which the Jews are just a literary device for the earning of all uprooted people.

    The really popular version is of course Boney M's cover:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gu7scpmY9iU

    ReplyDelete
  2. To Theodore. Thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Best version of the song I've heard to date is from the DVD "Farewell Israel". The way the song is sung, and the instruments used sets the mood for the song. The mood is such that I am brought to tears every time I hear it. I'd have to check the credits to see who actually done the song.

    ReplyDelete