בס׳ד

"Where does it say that you have a contract with G-d to have an easy life?"

the Lubavitcher Rebbe



"Failure is not the enemy of success; it is its prerequisite."

Rabbi Nosson Scherman



11 Jun 2010

From bashing to Sinai

Why did I click on the article? I knew it would only raise my blood pressure as I prepared myself for another round of Israel bashing. But, I was totally flummoxed by what was written in this particular article.
My parents once attended a lecture by Roy Neuberger, author of From Central Park to Sinai and 2020 Vision, among others. During his speech he remarked that he based his writing on the question of whether his words would be a kiddush Hashem - a sanctification of G-d.
The article I read this morning was just the opposite. I was so upset upon reading what the author had written that tears started to form. I tried to think of the appropriate action I should take. Should I write an email to the author? Personally, I think that a person's views are very much set and he will not be persuaded by anything I have to say.
Should I call for a boycott of his articles and the newspaper for which he writes? But, in the past, when I asked some people to boycott a specific newspaper, they canceled their subsriptions for a little while, only to reinstate them when they felt they were missing out.
In the end, I did the only thing I thought I could do. I took out a coin from my purse and dropped it into a charity box. And, while I was performing the act, I prayed to G-d with all my might that the journalist should merit to write articles that bring about a Kiddush Hashem.

No comments:

Post a Comment