בס׳ד

"Where does it say that you have a contract with G-d to have an easy life?"

the Lubavitcher Rebbe



"Failure is not the enemy of success; it is its prerequisite."

Rabbi Nosson Scherman



7 Dec 2009

Sickness and masterpieces

The video below reminded me of the short story, "The Last Leaf" by O'Henry.
Last week I was asked by the coordinator of the bikur cholim organization to visit an old woman in the hospital. I went to visit her later that afternoon. Unfortunately, she was in a lot of pain, and I could barely make out what she wanted. I called one nurse into her room to see if her pain could be alleviated. Before I left, I asked another nurse to check on her.
As I left, I felt like I hadn't accomplished anything, not knowing if she was even physically aware of my presence. But, in the end, I told myself that my visit had accomplished something. At least the nurses were aware of the fact that someone had cared enough about the old woman to come and visit her. They knew that their activities were being monitored and I assume that her level of care will rise.



No comments:

Post a Comment