בס׳ד

"Where does it say that you have a contract with G-d to have an easy life?"

the Lubavitcher Rebbe



"Failure is not the enemy of success; it is its prerequisite."

Rabbi Nosson Scherman



27 Dec 2009

One of the best

As an update to the previous post, I am posting the opening paragraphs of an INN article written by Shmuel Neumann about his encounter with Rabbi Meir Avshalom Chai, Hy"d. The world has lost an incredible human being. As Mr. Neumann writes, "They killed one of the best of us. But like his name, Chai (which means life), he will live forever in the afterlife, while those who attacked him are damned."

One balmy Thursday evening several years ago, on a clear night, the kind of night that makes you feel great to be alive, I stood enjoying the clean air of Samaria. I was approached by a young man who asked if I could help him deliver food. As I had just moved to Israel, and had nothing but time on my hands, I unhesitatingly said yes. It was then that he explained to me that in order not to embarrass people we would meet at 2:00 a.m. to deliver the food. I slept a few hours and when I met him his old, beat up car was His old, beat up car was filled with cartons. filled with cartons.
Thinking that there were only about 100 families in the small community which anti-Semites like to call a “settlement” and in which I lived, I thought that this wouldn’t be too hard – how many people could be in need of food for the Sabbath? I was shocked that our first stop was somewhere else, in a Jewish village named Chomesh. (Chomesh was destroyed later in the Disengagement along with Gaza). This was in the middle of the intifada and I was terrified and asked my driver if he wasn’t afraid to be on the roads at this hour. He told me he was in the Golani Brigade and that nothing would happen to us while doing a mitzvah (good deed). He drove up to each house and I brought the box of food to the door and ran back. We went to Einav and Avnei Chefetz and other Jewish communities in Samaria coming back only to fill up his car again with more food cartons. We returned after 5:00 a.m."
http://www.israelnationalnews.com/Articles/Article.aspx/9225


No comments:

Post a Comment