בס׳ד

"Where does it say that you have a contract with G-d to have an easy life?"

the Lubavitcher Rebbe



"Failure is not the enemy of success; it is its prerequisite."

Rabbi Nosson Scherman



1 Oct 2009

Mincha and Dunkin' Donuts

Yesterday, I ate a Dunkin' Donut. To you it might not seem such a big deal, but, you see, I live in Europe and I don't have the luxury of driving a few blocks to the nearest Dunkin' Donuts store and buying a donut.
Yesterday, I was making my purchases at the butcher shop when a young man in his twenties entered and looked around, seeming a bit lost. When asked by the proprietor if he needed help, he responded by saying that he was on his way to Israel in a few hours. He had arrived from America, had a ten hour stopover in Europe and was utilizing the time to see the sites in a country which he had never been to before.
As I walked out of the store, we got to talking and I ended up inviting him to my home, to utilize the computer and to have some lunch. Later, my son served as his tour guide as he showed him points of interest in our city.
The young man's main concern was to return to the shul where he had davened the morning prayers because he had found out they were davening Mincha (afternoon service) at 2:15 pm. I pointed out to him that he would be missing some tourist attractions if he returned to the same shul and that perhaps he should continue seeing the sites and he would probably find a minyan at the airport. But, he was adamant. He knew that there was a Mincha service at 2:15 and he wanted to make sure that he would be there.
I was impressed with this young man's insistence on setting praying in a minyan as his overriding priority. Tourist attractions could be missed but a Mincha minyan was a necessity.
After he departed to the airport leaving us a box of Dunkin' Donuts (with a hechsher) as a token of appreciation, I reflected on my strange day. I invited a stranger into my home, based upon his wearing a yarmelca and attending the same yeshiva as my nephew. But as he was a fellow Jew in need, I felt an instant camaraderie.
This young man openly walked the streets of Europe, proud of his heritage and unwavering in his devotion to fulfilling the mitzvot.
A.H. - you lost. Am Yisrael Chai. - The nation of Israel lives.




Special note:
As reports of hundreds dead as a result of the earthquake in Indonesia are dominating the news, let's offer a prayer for the victims. May the miraculous rescue of one of the victims of the earthquake be repeated many times over.

No comments:

Post a Comment