בס׳ד

"Where does it say that you have a contract with G-d to have an easy life?"

the Lubavitcher Rebbe



"Failure is not the enemy of success; it is its prerequisite."

Rabbi Nosson Scherman



3 Sept 2009

Wasting time

A friend of mine sent me a cartoon via email where a Mom tells her son that she was looking through his Facebook page. The son interrupts his mom to ask her why. He explains to her that Facebook is for social networking. He further goes on to elucidate.
"We live in the same house. If you have something to say, just text me."

A couple of months ago, I wrote a post called "Off with your Facebook." The other day I came across two articles regarding the social networking site.

Article 1.
A New York Times article by Virginia Heffernan entitled "Facebook Exodus" describes the exodus of many users from the social networking site for myriad reasons.
“I primarily left Facebook because I was wasting so much time on it,” my friend Caroline Harting told me by e-mail. “I felt fairly detached from my Facebook buddies because I rarely directly contacted them.” Instead, she felt as if she stalked them, spending hours a day looking at their pages without actually saying hello.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/30/magazine/30FOB-medium-t.html?em

Article 2.
Man killed wife 'because she spent too much time on Facebook'
"A man killed his girlfriend after becoming resentful of the time she spent on Facebook, a court has heard...."
Click here to read full story.

Yesterday, I wrote about articles printed on the internet which are presented as fact but turn out to be untrue. This morning I read Israeli writer David Stavrou's comments regarding the Aftonbladet article on organ harvesting.

"This is post modern anti-Semitism. It's all about ratings and it's business orientated. It sells newspapers. Nobody cares about the truth because it's subjective anyway, nobody has time for research and you can definitely count on it that no one will take responsibility. The writer gets his 15 minutes of fame; the paper makes millions. And damn the consequences.”
http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/Flash.aspx/170489

No comments:

Post a Comment