בס׳ד

"Where does it say that you have a contract with G-d to have an easy life?"

the Lubavitcher Rebbe



"Failure is not the enemy of success; it is its prerequisite."

Rabbi Nosson Scherman



7 Aug 2009

The prisoner's donation

This coming Shabbos, we read Pirkei Avot Chapter 4. The first mishnah begins with the words,
Ben Zoma would say: Who is wise? One who learns from every man, as is written: "From all my teachers I have grown wise, for Your testimonials are my meditation. " (Psalms 119:99)

Last night, I read about a special donation received by the Shuvu school system, after launching an appeal to help its schools, due to the financial crisis.
"How did Shuvu get a donation from prison?” Mrs. Schon asked herself. But then, as she read further, the answer became clear. The following lines read: 09185016, Pollard, Jonathan; charitable contribution.
http://www.5tjt.com/news/read.asp?Id=4702

I thought to myself that I should learn from Jonathan Pollard who used his meager funds to donate to a most worthy cause- the furtherance of Jewish education.
May he merit being set free from his lengthy incarceration.
I hope to write a letter to Jonathan Pollard and tell him how much his action inspired me.
Here is Jonathan's address:
Jonathan Pollard #09185-016
c/o FCI Butner
P.O. Box 1000Butner,
NCU.S.A 27509-1000
UPDATE The following is part of a comment I received from the Justice for Jonathan Pollard organization.
"About his donation to Shuvu, Jonathan feels strongly that Jewish education is critical and Shuvu must be saved. It should also be noted that out of his meager funds Jonathan always makes donations to worthy Jewish causes. This was just one of them that caught the eye of the media-- something Jonathan did not anticipate nor desire. He is glad if, nevertheless, it did some good."
I would just like to add that when I went shopping this morning for my Shabbos necessities, I was approached by two people to give tzedakah. With Jonathan's story in mind, I contributed more than I normally would have.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting a call to write to Jonathan. He deeply appreciates all the letters he receives, even though he is not able to respond.
    About his donation to Shuvu, Jonathan feels strongly that Jewish education is critical and Shuvu must be saved. It should also be noted that out of his meager funds Jonathan always makes donations to worthy Jewish causes. This was just one of them that caught the eye of the media-- something Jonathan did not anticipate nor desire. He is glad if, nevertheless, it did some good. Thanks for posting your comments about it!

    ReplyDelete