בס׳ד

"Where does it say that you have a contract with G-d to have an easy life?"

the Lubavitcher Rebbe



"Failure is not the enemy of success; it is its prerequisite."

Rabbi Nosson Scherman



13 Jun 2009

The ant and the grasshopper

"Don't say I will study when I have time, lest you never find the time."
"And if not now, when?"
Ethics of the Fathers
The other day, I was passing by a Jewish old age home with literally seven minutes to spare before an appointment. I went in and proceeded to the dining room where I found my friend's mother. She was sitting in a wheelchair, looking out at the garden. Her eyes lit up when she saw me.
"Do me a favor", she asked of me. "Please close the window, it's getting cold."
I sat down next to her and related a brief synopsis of the news of the day. She related an anecdote to me from years gone by.
I asked her for a beracha for my family which she gave. But she told me to ask her daughter for one because her daughter was a bat kohein and a kohein's berachot are fulfilled.
I excused myself, telling her I had an appointment in a couple of minutes. I told her I would hopefully come back soon.
I left with a good feeling. And, even though the visit was brief, I am sure the woman appreciated a visitor, knowing that someone had taken the time to think of her.
When I had passed the old age home, I had hesitated about going inside, knowing my time is limited. But I told myself, "if not now, when?"

No comments:

Post a Comment