בס׳ד

"Where does it say that you have a contract with G-d to have an easy life?"

the Lubavitcher Rebbe



"Failure is not the enemy of success; it is its prerequisite."

Rabbi Nosson Scherman



4 Mar 2009

Consoling words

Maimonides wrote, "If a poor person requests money from you, and you have nothing to give him, speak to him consolingly." It is forbidden to turn away a poor person empty-handed, but if one truly cannot give, a Jew is expected to at least offer words of comfort.
There is a story of a beggar who asked a man for money. The man had no money to give to the beggar, so he said to the beggar, "Brother, I have nothing to give you. The beggar thanked the man. The man asked, "Why did you thank me? I have given you nothing? " The beggar responded, "You called me brother." .
Last week, I attended a chupah and a man was standing at the entrance, collecting donations. I have seen him at many affairs and usually, if I have some change I give him something, and sometimes I don't even take notice. This time, after helping my niece with an essay about tzedakah, I was made cognizant of Maimonides' words to relate to the poor person. After I dropped a coin onto his plate, I asked him to give a beracha for my child to be zocheh to a zivug hagun. His face was beaming as he fulfilled my personal request.
Two days ago, I was listening to a lecture by Rabbi Zecharia Wallerstein who spoke about giving tzedakah. He mentioned that there are some Russian women collecting money in front of his shul. He makes it a point to converse with them and ask them for a beracha. He gives them a feeling of importance and they oblige with happiness in their hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment